sleeping is my super power
I'm a big fan of sleep. I almost didn't write this post because I thought I should get into bed but then I realized it's only 7:30 p.m. and I can stand to stay up a little longer. I'm so not that the person who could pull all nighters and was that person that fell asleep first at sleepovers. I'm not ashamed of my sleep priority. When I am tired, I am at my worst. The lack of sleep masks itself in a myriad of emotions (stressed, angry, irritable) and always always makes me think I'm hungry and need to eat. The truth is though...I'm just tired and I am not superwoman.
I became much more interested in my sleep once I started wearing a Fit Bit. Quite honestly, initially it was alarming to see my sleep on a screen. However, this was before I knew about the sensitive setting on the device not knowing I was on it. (Thank you!) After a few weeks of thinking I was the worst sleeper ever, my sleep magically transformed. I still monitor my sleep as it is not perfect and I because I have sleep goals.
My goal is a minimum of 7 hours a night. I don't always get it. When I drink coffee too late in the day or perhaps think that I need to sleep in a huge sweatshirt, my sleep is affected. I need to be warm not hot. I think the ideal temperature for sleep is around 65. Occasionally too, I have those nights where my brain decides to go into hyperdrive in which it desires to solve all the world's problems in the hours between 1-4am. Those nights are no fun but thankfully, I do not have many of them anymore.
Sleep is not something I skimp on for other things. Feeling tired is not a bad thing either. For me sleep is right up there with healthy eating and exercise as far as priorities. I recently gave my room a bit of a low budget makeover. I painted the walls white, new comforter, some curtains and I made the pillow cases! Going to bed is now like my new favorite thing. Although I love getting up too!

Two years ago, after my marriage ended, I vowed that I would take better care of myself so that I could be completely present for my boys. That included getting enough sleep. I too, have similar "symptoms" from lack of sleep plus clumsiness/tripping/falling. The first weekend the boys were at their visitation with their Dad, I gave my bedroom a fresh coat of white paint and started to make it reflect me. Now I love going to bed. I call it my nest, it's my safe place! I'm happy to hear you are taking care of yourself :)
ReplyDeleteyour comments have been just what I needed right now...connecting with someone on a similar path! thank you :)
DeleteGlad to hear you are getting some sleep!! Long gone are the years of night shifts. Love crawling in early and have actually been waking at 0530 and liking it!!..xxoo..
ReplyDelete5:30 is a perfect time to wake up!
DeleteI love your pillow cases! First thing I thought! I'm lucky to have a schedule I can create myself, as I definitely don't tend to sync with the average person's hours. And I love the night and early morning both! Can't always have them both all the time, but in the last couple years there have been a lot more early mornings. A nice change. Some of those early mornings definitely bring you to mind :) Such an awesome quiet time.
ReplyDeleteyes, it is!
Delete