happiest place on earth


It had been so long since going to our family cabin. We usually late in the evening to avoid all the workday traffic so it's quite late when we get there. The cabin this time of year is cold inside and I'm beyond tired but still make a fire. Waking up at the cabin the next morning makes all that worth it. I remembered to turn my alarm off my phone and slept until what felt right. It's weird for me to wake up to light. Part of me thinks I missed out the majority of the day, yet sleeping in means I'm not crawling into bed at 8 o'clock!  If you look closely, the light is making it's way through the back door in this picture.


The cabin itself, it's rather 70's. Dark wood, green carpet, linoleum and wall paper everywhere. The furniture is mismatched yet no one seems to care. The cabin has wi-fi, cable TV and a microwave. We definitely are not primitive when we are there! The cabin is away though from the city, the noise and all that traffic I mentioned. It's a complete change of pace. I've got quite a few more years to work still but I see myself (although, I do not look too far in the future right now) settling into this slower way of living at some point.


This particular visit was technically "spring break".  I had a few extras with me and of course, two dogs! The first day we hiked and stayed close to the cabin. The second day, we went for an eleven hour road trip. The final destination was the coast stopping along the way in Port Angeles and Lake Crescent. The coast was windy and cold. I much more preferred the lake.



I did learn quite a bit on this trip just where and not where dogs are allowed. We stopped at the dog park on our way in and out of Port Angeles to let them run as they are not allowed anywhere off leash in either the Olympic National Forest or Park. I may have left my good travel coffee cup at the dog park the first time too and was so glad to have claimed it when we went back. The picture below is from within the park at Lake Crescent. Unbelievable beauty, I could hardly stand it!


Packing and cleaning to prepare to leave breaks my heart every single time. I always have to tell myself, I get to come back. When I'm out running, I consider all the different things I could do to make it financially living there. There's a little coffee shop in town, but I don't think barista wages would pay college bills. Probably wouldn't even pay for the wi-fi and cable actually (although, I can do without the cable as I don't pay for it home).


 I'm home now and settling in. I love my home here too so feel I have the best of both worlds. The weather has changed and I may even be wearing wool socks. The dogs are sleeping the day away. I've got a stew in the crockpot and homemade bread in the oven. Home comforts.

Comments

  1. Well this is just beyond delightful! A 70s A-Frame is a dream (Pinterest board overload)! As a creature of the woods, the forest is where I feel most at home. We would love to see Olympic someday. Thanks for sharing.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your photos. It's so beautiful there! Such a treat to have something to look forward to like that. If you lived there it just wouldn't be the same ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts