Tend and tending


Did I ever mention that my husband is a master gardener?  He once had a small CSA and also sold his organic goodness to a local restaurant.  I married up in the gardening department. Last weekend he added three more raised beds to the backyard.  Good thing we got married last year for many reasons but in this case because more of the backyard is now more a garden vs. wedding venue.



Our upstairs is now a growing operation.  We have around twenty tomatoes plants, broccoli, peppers and lots of herbs growing a little everyday.  You notice these things when you are home more. Every new sprout or new leaf is something to celebrate. It really is that exciting or I am really void of stimulation right now.


I have lost track of everything that is growing outside. I know there is several varieties of lettuce, spinach, onions (walla-walla), potatoes, garlic, and even an artichoke.  I have been schooled that it is too early for cucumbers and corn but their day is coming.   


I am not sure what my role is with the garden now.  He really enjoys tending to it.  Perhaps my role is to harvest and make use of everything.  In our time at home we ordered in once and to be honest, we were  disappointed.  Not to say that I can't wait to go out to eat again.  Somewhere good, and preferably with outside dining and a pleasant atmosphere.  Reminds me of our honeymoon, we ate outside every night at the resort restaurant.  Along with your menu, you were handed a blanket.  Gosh, that was nice.



Here and now finds us tending, paying attention.  Makes me wonder how much I have missed  out on always busy scurrying around to the next thing, next place, next shiny thing.  This time is teaching me to just be and this means literally just being still, okay with not doing something all the time.  It's also taught me that I can have a small dish of almond ice cream every night instead of an entire pint on the weekend. What a concept.



All this said, I did order some yarn. I'm not the best knitter in the world but I do find it meditative.  The girls were watching Gilmore Girls over the weekend.  When asked what she was knitting, Lorilai said something like...that's not the point, you knit just too knit. Can relate.

Comments

Popular Posts