go: hiking with my son



I'm probably not the most spontaneous person you have ever met. I like a plan and even more so I like to prepare. So when my son a few weeks ago now woke me up at 4:30am asking if I wanted to go hiking I must admit I hesistated at first.

Typically, my hike would have been researched the night before. I would have read trip reports and my backpack would have been packed. The morning would have consisted of just getting showered and drinking some coffee. This particular morning didn't allow for anything of that or actually it required all of that.

I went regardless.

Between two locations (the first hike that Josh had picked was still covered in snow - like we couldn't even find the trail head) we hiked 10 miles. Not bad for no planning. We took two of his good friends and of course, Brooklyn. The hike in itself wasn't real strenous and we still ended up in snow. We had to cross several streams over the trail one was a little out of my comfort zone even. You know what though, I did it. Three teenagers watching me adding to the pressure of making sure I didn't fall. No, I didn't have poles. It's hard to manage poles and a dog. Yes, I know they would have been helpful.

I remember getting back home and feeling very accomplished. And, I distinctively remember that once I took and shower and ate a decent meal how good I felt meaning I still had some energy for the things I was planning to do that day and I slept really well that evening.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts