on breaking up with instagram
I did it and it was way easier than I thought it would be. I fully deleted my Instagram Wednesday early morning. I was holding on for a while because all.those.pictures. I think that I was able to successfully download them though, and if I didn't I realized that it was okay. I had the opportunity to moderate a women's circle this week on managing time. It was there I verbalized that I had decided to step away from Instagram and and how I had already noticed more time being added into my days. Doing so though made me take the final step to stay really true to my word. Side note, the women's circle was at work. I am not able to join it on an on-going basis because it is closed but it did make me realize that I miss those type of connecting with others. Maybe more to come on this, but first let's talk addiction to our phones. My addiction to my phone particularly Instagram.
There is no doubt there was a time that I really enjoyed Instagram. It was the equivalent in my mind of a grown up version show and tell. I also liked that it was a place that kept memories, told our stories in a way. As my time on there went on though, it began to change. The ads really drove me buggy and the need I felt to check it so many times throughout the day. It became a huge distraction. Lastly, it then seems like every fourth word out of everyone's mouth lately is Instagram. Ugh, enough.
There is this period though of not knowing then what to check on my phone. I was so accustomed to grabbing it I found myself for a few weeks reading the news on it which really, I don't need to read the news. So, then you check the weather or whatever else. Then one day, I just put it down.
Now to be completely transparent, I am still reading blogs and I enjoy watching You Tube videos while I exercise but those activities feel way more intentional for me vs. scrolling Instagram. I am also occasionally posting a picture on VSCO when I feel like it. It is a nice quiet place. No captions, no likes and no ads, praise the lord.
I got a really nice Travelers Notebook for Christmas from my husband. I intend to spend a lot more time filling those pages as opposed to here, there, or anywhere. All this, feels so much like my last post, a coming home.

Comments
Post a Comment