go: Granite Mountain
I hiked again last Saturday. I flew solo as particular hike would have been too much for Tori. It was a good choice to have her stay home. I woke up with butterflies in my belly. Granite Mountain is the farthest away from home I have hiked. There was also a death there earlier this year - avalanche. The conditions had since changed so that part didn't really bother me, I think it was just the fact that I was heading out alone but of course, I took Brooklyn. The previous day I bought my forest pass, trekking poles and a new pack. I was going - butterflies and all.
I took LOTS of pictures but again too many to copy and past over here. Click on any of these pictures to go to my flickr page for the rest. Mount Granite is 8 miles round trip. Difficulty level is a 5 which happens to be the highest. Maybe I missed reading that small detail before I left. The parking lot was about 1/3rd full when I got there. That in itself calmed those butterflies. I had to fill out a hiking permit. Suddenly I felt just like Cheryl Stand hiking the PCT.
Brooklyn is just fabulous on the trail. After a mishap with several dogs on a previous hike, I am VERY cautious with her. She is so sweet too. She runs ahead but not too far and waits for me. She is so polite to other hikers. She slept most of Sunday.
Mt. Rainier
I'm hiking again this Saturday - Big Si which is another 8 miler with impressive gains. I am hiking with a co-worker. I'm not against hiking alone again. For almost 5 hours I could not have been more *in the moment*. The times my mind did wander off is when I tripped on something small and silly. These mountains - they calm me even when my heart is beating through my chest. They strengthen me too mentally and physically. And spiritually, oh yes. I'm hooked for sure.

I can tell how much you love these hikes you do, and it is wonderful to read about them and to see your beautiful photos. I think I would love to have five hours of being in the moment, alone, with just my dog. That sounds lovely.
ReplyDeleteThank you Dawn - I hope to see you on one of our trails someday!
DeleteWhat beautiful photos! Makes me want to explore where I live even more :)
ReplyDeletedailyvacationblog.blogspot.com
I did a four mile hike in West Virginia by myself Saturday morning. I was glad I didn't take the rest of the family because it was a true thigh-burner. Every time I didn't think I could climb anymore, I would switchback to another ascent.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the quiet of being out there by myself, but was feeling a little leery the further out I got. I was in a State Park on a marked trail, but I kept thinking what would I do if a bobcat or bear (or crazy person) crossed my path.
I kept thinking I still would like to hike the Appalachain trail before I'm too old to do it. I don't know how I would, but still.
I thought of you when we were out there, wondered if you were still trailblazing. I knew as soon as I came home I would stop by here. Your blog feels like home and these photos lately, make me sigh.