go: hike Dirty Harry



Growing up I would tell my mom that I was going for a bike ride. We lived on dirt roads in farming country back in Michigan. I never told her exactly where I was going and I didn't carry a cell phone.I  would return several hours later completely thrilled with how far I had gone and just the freedom that the bike provided. I biked mostly alone because that was what I preferred.

I don't ride bikes anymore. Well, I did when I was doing triatholons. Truly, I don't like to bike on trails with lots of people and most definitely not on the roads. So, I hike and sometimes I go on long hikes...alone.

My orginial intention of this hike was 5 miles. I left fairly early but not at the crack of dawn. I made it to
the look out point around 9am. I was not satisfied with the look out nor the fact that I would be home before noon. So, I set out for the next point which really was straight up and quite rocky. I had yet to see another hiker which I found quite strange on a beautiful Sunday morning. It isn't a really popular trail. I ended up hiking to an elevation of 4680 feet  to get the views I was wishing for.

I did pick up a stick for the way down. I knew I was going to need it and even with it I took a stumble.  I also ended up with a blister. No big deal. It's hard to really write about the experience of accomplishing these things. The hike was labeled strenous and that it was. I expected to be sore the next day and I was quite pleased that I wasn't. In thinking about it, I hiked almost a half-marathon distance. I could have used more water and should have had more food. I was glad for having to pass through the streams so Brooklyn could get a drink.

Not sure when the next hike will be. I'm just taking them as they come this year. It could just be that I will be hiking next in the Olympic National Forest.

Comments

  1. Wow, just wow!
    And hey we fly into Seattle on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SO BRAVE...and so adventurous! Alone? Not enough food or water? It makes me anxious just thinking about it! lol But worth it for the scenery, I imagine...SO beautiful....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts