grow: this week in my garden



These pictures are not exactly from last week although I am harvesting about the same things this week. It makes this mama happy that a few of her kids really like those snap peas. I really like those snap peas. They are super sweet. I'm most happy with those blueberries. I think I have already said that here. The kale is awesome and I have been drinking a lot of green smoothies on the weekends with it.

Lately I have had to wait to much later in the day to pay the garden a visit. I just can't be in the hot sun much and shouldn't either. I think those peas are just about done. I see tomatoes in my future thanks to all the hot days we've been having. My beans, cucumbers and zucchini are looking good too. The bean vines are really something. I swear they grow like inches over night. The romaine lettuce is filling in now. Everything is really just amazing this year.

Now about those eggs. I have been having a little struggle as of late with keeping chickens. I feel sorry for them. It makes me sad when my chickens act like zoo animals. So, I've made a little compromise with them and the yard. I'm letting them out on mostly supervised visits in the yard. They have already ate a few plants completely gone and all my Dahlias have no leaves on the bottom half (they still have blooms thank goodness).  We also have too many chickens (I'm just letting it all out now) and I can only blame myself for that. I'm certain that this will be our last go around with chickens. Not saying they are going anytime soon though. We love their eggs!

This week I must weed - gosh there are a lot of weeds out there. And, I should probably start thinking about what to plant next to keep this momentum going.

Comments

  1. I love it! We are struggling with our garden right now bc it's not been as hot as normal so the plants are not growing like in years past.
    I love when you said you and your chickens made a compromise.
    Too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to visit this garden asap...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that your garden is doing so well... Mine? Not so much. But that's OK...there's always next year. As for the chickens? I think I'm with you. I hate when they pace back and forth...it makes me feel bad. But on the other hand, they have way more room than the "experts" say they need...so what's the problem? I don't know...I may give them away...I go back and forth. I do love the eggs. And I do love having the chickens when they're happy and their coop is fresh and tidy (which isn't often enough)...and now with working full-time? I dunno...I love them, I just don't make enough time for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos. I love all the things you have in that basket. We do not have chickens but I sure would love to have them however impossible since we live in town. We get nice eggs from people we know. Great post! I love your book list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts