Happy New Low Spend Year
Today is the last day of the most restful break. We've enjoyed a few outings but mostly have spent the time at home. While I am never quite eager to get back to work, I am mentally prepared. Mindset is everything.
My mind set is also set on the fact that this year is going to be a low spend year. My spending as of late has not been completely rational. I am fully aware that I have made a lot of impulse purchases lately. While I know that I am ultimately the one hitting the add to cart button, I do think my spending has been influenced by social media. Sad.
My low spend year will look something along the lines of only buying what I need vs. what I want. There will be replacing items that need replacing (make up, skin care, clothing) but there won't be impulse purchases based upon the fact that it promises to erase years from my face. Kidding (kind of) but you get what I mean. I also don't need anything new around the house. Most people already know I am pretty minimal as it is. Yet, I found myself at IKEA a few times last year regardless.
I also need to be mindful just even getting groceries. Things have jumped into my cart that I have not really needed. We've done really well with eating at home. That is one thing we really enjoy doing together actually. There will be a dinner out here and there but it will be more like a treat than a weekly occurrence.
With the purchases I do make, I intend to wait a few days to fully make the purchase. Online shopping is way too convenient. I have also been one that will add unnecessary items just to be able to get the free product or discount. Being fully transparent.
We've made some financial goals for the year. We do hope to take a big trip late August/early September. There will be saving and paying down debt. I have also set a big goal of wanting to retire at a certain age. To do so will take some fortitude. One day at a time. Who really knows what the next ten years will bring really. It helps to be prepared.

As I say to my husband often when he says or does something I was thinking, “You were just in my head.”. I share many of your thoughts for 2020 and beyond. I look forward to reading about your efforts.
ReplyDeletethank you for your visit! I will share my efforts - I am excited!
DeleteI'm on a similar plan. I've found that I can't do a no-spend year. Too many people, complications, life circumstances that make it unreasonable and discouraging. But focusing on less spending and reducing online buying are things I can definitely manage. It will be nice to have companionship along the way!
ReplyDelete